Star Player and Generation Icon Kobe Bryant dies in Helicopter Crash

Lakers at Wizards 12/2/15 Photo Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Keith Allison

Anthony Cepeda, Rampage Reporter

One January 26th, 2020, basketball star and national icon Kobe Bryant died in a deadly helicopter crash along with eight other individuals.  The victims with Kobe have been identified as his daughter Gianna Bryant, John Altobelli, his wife Keri Atobelli, their daughter Alyssa Altobelli, Christina Mauser, Sarah Chester, Payton Chester, and the pilot Ara Zobayan.

“Kobe’s  death and the death of his daughter is very emotional, and even heartbreaking,” said freshman Rebecca Torrrez.

The cause of the crash is still under investigation.  Officials with the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating whether the helicopter had engine troubles or if the heavy fog was a factor.  

Jennifer Homendy, a member of the NTSB said, “We take a broad look at everything around an investigation, around an accident. We look at man, machine and the environment, and the weather is just a small portion of that.” 

Regardless of how it crashed, people around the globe instantly began to mourn the passing of such as legend as Kobe Bryant, who has been an inspiration to millions during his career. 

MCHS senior Joshue Easley said, “Kobe’s death was a complete shock to me. He will be mourned and greatly missed for [years] to come.” 

In the first hours back to school Monday, junior Julber Noveron and and sophomore Kevin Medina reminisced about favorite Kobe memories. They also spoke about the well-known trend of never throwing a ball of trash toward a can without calling out, “Kobe!”  

“I’ve been doing that since I was a kid,” Noverone said.  “This is a sad day. Kobe was a legend.”