Rampage

Rishon Harvey, 12

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rishon Harvey, 12

photo by Noah Wages

photo by Noah Wages

photo by Noah Wages

Andrew Brown, Staff Writer

“My freshman year I didn’t really know who the Martinettes were because I was in theater. Sophomore year I started seeing them at football games and during pep rallies, and I was like  ‘I want to do that!’ My junior year I decided I really wanted to try out, but people were like ‘boys can’t make the team.’ I started to dance more often and decided I should try out. I talked to Coach Iovine at a football game and asked if I could try out for the team, even though I’m a boy and people said I couldn’t. She said that that wasn’t true and that I could try out. My friends supported me, so I decided to go for it and I ended up making it. I haven’t faced prejudice inside of school. In school everyone’s been really supportive. The only times anyone was kind of rude were at football games because the other teams  just didn’t get it, but the schools in Katy ISD have been very supportive. I’ve danced in musical theater, but have only been actually dancing for this year. My favorite part is how supportive the team is. We all love each other and all care about each other. If one of us is sad we are all like ‘don’t be sad, sis!’ Also, I love performing  with everyone and working really hard toward a common goal. We perform and get applauded and I  love the applause. The thing I’ve learned from my struggles is how to push myself without being toxic to myself. If anyone wants to try out, even as a boy, go for it because you never know what could happen. I regret not trying out sooner to be part of the family from the beginning. It’s better to get rejected from the team than regretting it later. If you’re a boy you CAN do it, even if people say you can’t. Do it just to prove them wrong. I was the first male Martinette in school history, and maybe the next boy on the team can be the first male Martinette officer. That’s what I wanted to be but I joined too late. Hopefully soon someone will do it and show that it’s 2018 and anyone can join Martinettes if they’ve got the talent and the dedication.”

About the Writer
Andrew Brown, Staff Writer

Andrew Brown is in 11th grade and has been on newspaper staff for two years, and took three years of yearbook classes in junior high. He enjoys naps, art,...

1 Comment

One Response to “Rishon Harvey, 12”

1. Jada Cooperwood on January 11th, 2019 2:30 pm

WE LOVE RISHON ❤️❤️

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Rishon Harvey, 12

Humans of the Creek

Trinity Guillen, 12

• Rishon Harvey, 12

Humans of the Creek

Alexandra Lee, 10

• Rishon Harvey, 12

Humans of the Creek

Ty Williams, 11

• Rishon Harvey, 12

News

253 people killed in Sri Lanka Easter bombing

• Rishon Harvey, 12

Rampt Up Studios

Rampt Up Studios: The Lunch Bunch

• Rishon Harvey, 12

Showcase

Sports editor Dennis Silva joins Katy Times staff to bring back full sports coverage to Katy ISD schools

• Rishon Harvey, 12

Features

Martinettes welcome back Coach Iovine before Spring Show

• Rishon Harvey, 12

News

Nipsey Hussle is shot and killed after leaving impact on his community

• Rishon Harvey, 12

Features

Academic UIL team advances to State

• Rishon Harvey, 12

News

U.S. District Judge raises controversy after declaring male-only Selective Service unconstitutional

The Student News Site of Mayde Creek High School
Rishon Harvey, 12