Art teacher James Davis passes away at 54

Back to Article
Back to Article

Patrick Ervine, Staff Writer

Beloved MCHS art teacher James Barnard Davis passed away surrounded by his loved ones at Methodist Medical Center Hospital on Dec. 27, 2018. He was 54 years old. 

He attended schools in both Houston ISD and Aldine ISD and played drums at Mt. Ararat Baptist Church. After graduating high school, he went to Southwest Texas State university in San Marcos, Texas. He received a Bachelor’s Degree in fine arts.

After graduating from college, he worked as an educator in Aldine ISD and Katy ISD. In his 28 years of teaching, he mentored and sponsored many clubs and organizations, taught fifth and sixth grades, and taught high school art. Davis focused on building relationships with his students in a meaningful way.

Senior Ethan Back was in Davis’ art class for all  four years of high school, and served as a pallbearer at Davis’ funeral.

“He wasn’t an ordinary teacher,” Back said. “He would talk to you and give you advice on life, and he would also talk to you just to get to know you. If you had a problem going on at home or at school, he would try his very best to help you out with whatever it is.”

Although Davis had no children of his own, he was a father-figure to his godson, with whom he was very close.

“Thank you, Dad, for all that you taught me,” Davis’ godson Brandon wrote in the program given to attendees at the memorial service. “I am so very proud to be your son. I love you, and will miss you with everything I have.”