Rampage

Patriots win sixth Super Bowl championship

Back to Article
Back to Article

Andrew Brown, Staff Writer

The New England Patriots faced the Los Angeles Rams in the Super Bowl LIII on Feb. 3 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia. The low-scoring game was watched by 98.2 million viewers on CBS. However, viewers saw the event as underwhelming due to the lowest Super Bowl scores in history.

“Honestly, it was one of the least enjoyable Super Bowl games I have ever seen,” video production teacher Kerrie Thompson said. “It was pretty much just a defensive game. Lowest scoring game in NFL Super Bowl history equals boring.”

This game did not just feature the lowest scores in history but also the sixth time the Patriots won the Super Bowl. Quarterback Tom Brady won his sixth Super Bowl championship in this game as well.

“The game was a statement that the Patriots’ dynasty was the real deal,” junior John Sola said. “Both teams had good defenses. It just proved that Bill Belichick and Tom Brady were the duo.”

The play of the game itself was mostly defensive. Patriots safety Patrick Chung was injured when his right forearm was pinned between two tackling players. Medical aid was provided, and Chung walked off with his arm in an air cast. Chung was out for the rest of the game, and his future health is to be predicted.

“He only broke it which sounds awful to say but a broken arm is easier to recover from, for a professional athlete, than damaged ligaments or tendons which are way more complex to rebuild,” Thompson said.

Among claims that the event was boring, viewers also complained about the halftime show.

“The Super Bowl halftime show was cool, if you were a 13 year old and it was 15 years ago,” Thompson said.

The halftime show, which featured Maroon Five, Travis Scott and Big Boi, brought controversy after lead singer of Maroon Five Adam Levine’s partial display of nudity. In the show, Levine took off his tank top and threw it into the crowd. The display of his chest resembled that of Janet Jackson in 2004. Her co-star Justin Timberlake ended a song by ripping off one of the panels covering her right breast, and, despite a pasty covering her from illegal nudity, she was still banned from future halftime shows, while Levine has yet to face any punishment from the NFL.

“I’m kind of biased about that because like she was a woman and her breast is her like private part,” Sola said. “I mean I guess you could make him face punishment because that is partial nudity. There are kids watching that might be like too young of a age to see that kind of stuff.”

Despite the controversy and injuries, the game was finished with a score of 13 to 3. The New England Patriots won once again, with fans cheering them and the Rams on the whole game.

“You can see that [the Patriots] adjusted the way they played after half time and just what they’ve been doing for the past eighteen years,” Sola said. That’s why they’ve been so successful. The Rams had no answer for them.”

About the Writer
Andrew Brown, Staff Writer

Andrew Brown is in 11th grade and has been on newspaper staff for two years, and took three years of yearbook classes in junior high. He enjoys naps, art,...