Rampage

Academic UIL team advances to State

Patrick Ervine, Staff Writer

The Mayde Creek Academic UIL team, led by english teacher Kayla Roca, went to the UIL 6A District 2019 Academic Meet from Wednesday, March 27 to Sunday, March 31 to compete against other schools in the district in a variety of categories.

The full list of Mayde Creek’s placings in the competition can be found here. The social studies team, consisting of Min Ko Ko, Mohammad Zaidi, Manahil Shoaib, and Ashley Nguyen, placed first overall in their category. Ko Ko also placed first individually in social studies and ready writing.

“For ready writing I didn’t really prepare, but for social studies we really did work hard, and we spent a lot of hours working to get those topics down,” Ko Ko said. “To be honest, I was very surprised to place first, because I did not expect to get those results, and it certainly wasn’t the event I was expecting to place in.”

The team won their district competition and Nguyen, Ko Ko, Zaidi, and Shoaib took home third place in team social studies at the Regional competition on April 13.

“We set up a Google Doc pertaining to all the information for social studies, since that helped the other two competitors and top scorers to get their perfect scores,” Nguyen said.

There were victories in other categories for other team members as well, like Jonathan Huang, who placed fourth in computer applications at Districts.

“I think I placed fourth mainly because I really know how to use the programs,” Huang said. “I really liked the competition, and it was my first year competing. I actually ended up entering towards the last 48 hours, so I didn’t get that much time to prepare, but going into it was a really fun experience and I’m really glad I was able to do it.”

The team took trophies home from both Districts and Regionals, and is now on its way to the State competition for ready writing and social studies on May 3 and 4. For some, however, not everything is about the main competition. Sometimes, it’s the smaller things that count.

“My favorite part of the competition would probably be after when we helped clean up, since this is when we had the most fun because we just fooled around and helped Ms. Roca out,” Nguyen said.

About the Writer
Patrick Ervine, Staff Writer

A sophomore at Mayde Creek High School, Patrick Ervine generally likes to play video games at home. He is enthusiastic about journalism and likes to write...