Nipsey Hussle is shot and killed after leaving impact on his community

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rapper Nipsey Hussle was shot and killed Sunday, March 31.

photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Jazmyn Cameron, Staff Writer

Rapper Nipsey Hussle, 33, was fatally shot outside his Los Angeles clothing store on Sunday, March 31. Two others were wounded as well during the incident.

Suspected shooter Eric Holder, 29, shot Hussle twice and began to walk away until Hussle spoke to him. Holder became furious when he realized Hussle was still alive, turned around and fired additional shots which killed him 35 minutes later. Hussle died from gunshot wounds to his head and torso. Police captured Holder who is now being held in custody.

“Thank you to both our community for the heightened awareness/vigilance, and our partners at @LAPDHQ,” Los Angeles Police Department said in a tweet which included a picture of Holden with the words “In Custody” over it.

A memorial was held for Nipsey Monday, April 1 outside his store where he was fatally shot. Chaos broke out when a man pulled out a gun and a person in the crowd attempted to disarm him. Mourners misinterpreted the sound of glass breaking as a gunshot and began to quickly flee the scene.

“Can’t even have a vigil for Nipsey Hussle without it going to chaos,” Nipsey fan Doug Nichols tweeted.

Before his death, Nipsey, born Ermias Joseph Asghedom, was planning to create a documentary about the late Alfredo Bowman, also known as Dr. Sebi, who claimed to have successfully cured AIDS. There is speculation as to whether Nipsey’s involvement in the documentary made him a target.

“This isn’t a coincidence,” motivational speaker and author Jared Sawyer Jr. tweeted. “Nipsey Hussle was working on a documentary that will narrate Dr. Sebi’s Trial in 1985. Dr. Sebi claimed that he could cure AIDS & was allegedly executed by way of U.S. Medical Corporations because his AIDS remedy would take away from their own profits.”

To honor Nipsey, fans have been pushing for Crayola to rename a color in honor of Hussle after rapper Glasses Malone tweeted a suggestion for “Nipsey Blue.” It was suggested due to his impact on his community. Hussle invested in the 59th Street Elementary School, renovating the basketball court and playground and giving shoes to all of its students.

“I just want to give back in an effective way,” Hussle told The Los Angeles Times in 2018. “I remember being young and really having the best intentions and not being met on my efforts.”

Hussle owned several businesses in the area including the clothing store. He owned a seafood market, a barbershop, and a Fatburger restaurant. He was seen as a community hero.

“He became a neighborhood hero,” Beal-Ampah, longtime resident of Crenshaw District, said. “He was such a positive figure in our community. You see the changes that he made. He worked with elementary schools and helped to bring STEM [Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics] programs in the community. This is not just someone who just had a business. He wanted to change the community from the roots up.”

Nipsey’s friends said he was much more than just a person in their community and that he impacted them in different ways.

“Ermias Asghedom, known to us as the hip-hop artist Nipsey Hussle, was a father, businessman, entertainer, and inspiration to many,” Mark Ridley-Thomas, a member of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervision for Second District, said.

His shooting was not the first. Multiple lives have been lost in his community due to gun violence.

“Our communities have lost too many young men and bright futures to the scourge of gun violence,” Ridley-Thomas said. “For healing to occur, even from this terrible incident, justice must be sought through legal means, and community peace must be found.

Hussle has left behind his girlfriend, Lauren London, and his two kids, Emani and Kross Asghedom.

“I am completely lost,” London wrote in a tribute after Nipsey passed. “I’ve lost my best friend. My sanctuary. My protector. My soul…I’m lost without you. We are lost without you, Babe. I have no words.”