School Areas Lacking Sidewalks Unsafe for Walking Students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Courtesy of Dolman Law Group

Photo Courtesy of Dolman Law Group

Dolman Law Group

Photo Courtesy of Dolman Law Group

Dolman Law Group

Dolman Law Group

Photo Courtesy of Dolman Law Group

School transportation is required for students to gain access to education, so the means to travel are as important as they allow access to such education. Majority of students drive and take the bus, while others walk because they have no access to a vehicle or they live within the inner limit of bus routes. There’s a lack of sidewalks for some schools, combined with cramped streets and patches of dirt used to walk along, which isn’t safe for students. Mayde Creek is no exception to this, as the roads around the school have a lack of sidewalks or lights for students.  

“Walking down Groeschke is dangerous, mostly because there’s no sidewalks down there.” Senior Daniel Williams said.

Sidewalks need to be placed down as for the safety of the students and of the drivers as well. A driver needs to be alert when traveling and shouldn’t have to worry about constantly striking a pedestrian walking down the street because there’s not enough room to safely walk beside the street.

“They need to put up a sign, maybe even clear up the ditches and plants down there.” Senior Draven Garrido said.

Last year at Mayde Creek, a student was struck by a vehicle as he attempted to cross the street to enter his neighborhood. There was no crosswalk, no stop sign or anything to alert drivers to slow down for crossing students. Out of respect to this student and their privacy they won’t be named, but eventually the case was taken to court to settle the accident and to stop future accidents from happening. 

“The city should take action against it, prevent it from happening again this year.” Garrido said. 

Studies between areas with sidewalks and areas without sidewalks are drastically different, as roads with sidewalks have a less likely chance of having an accident, while roads without sidewalks experienced more violent accidents more frequently as well by more than 70 percent, as reported by the Federal Highway Administration. This allows for students to safely traverse the roads without worry of needing to be on the lookout constantly. In return students can focus more on school rather than safely going to and fro from school. 

“Does it matter how safe the school is if the path to school isn’t safe?” Safe Routes to School National Partnership quoted.

UPDATE:

On September 5, a sophomore student was struck and killed by a motor vehicle at Waller ISD after attempting to reach a convenience store before class began. The driver was a Waller ISD employee who was driving to work. The student who was struck also had a mental disability and was alone as he walked along the road which had no sidewalk for him to traverse or proper crosswalks, forcing him to cross the road several times to walk safely.