Unforgettable Season Carves New Legacy for MCHS Rams

Photo Credit Sophomore Josiah Plummer Running back Julius Loughridge (11) stiff arms Cypress Creek competition during the second playoff game.

The 2019-2020 football season was one for the history books, as the Rams became a force to be reckoned with on the field. Once their legendary fight entered the playoffs, fans, supporters, and coaches could not have been more proud of the mighty Rams and the switch from a reputation for being an underdog to raised shouts for a “revenge tour.”

“A year ago, they took a step back, humbled themselves and bought in to a program based off commitment, consistency and accountability,” Football Coach K.J. Rabe tweeted the night of their final game. “Today, they walk off the field 9-3, Bi-District Champs and a place in Mayde Creek history, FOREVER! The 2019 #RevengeTour is COMPLETE! #FAM1LY.”

It was 1997 when the Mayde Creek football team was last in the playoffs, which made this year’s journey truly memorable for all involved. Several extra pep rallies and spirited send-offs kept the campus on a heightened sense of victory.

However, the poet Shel Silverstein said it right.  “There are no happy endings. Endings are the saddest part. So just give me a happy middle. And a very happy start.” 

“We are very proud of this team,” Spanish Teacher Norma Ledesma said. “You give everything and make us feel happy and proud in every game. Gracias por esta excelente temporada. Thank you for this excellent season.”

Their biggest fan of all is by far the MCHS Principle Ronnie Edwards. Throughout their rise, through grime and grit, victory and the very end, Edwards was there fanning the fire behind the mighty Ram team.

He made a public announcement early Friday to lift the spirits of students and staff who already knew the playoff season had come to an end Thursday night with a 35 to 14 loss to playoff rival Cypress Creek. 

“Seeing the humility and dignity displayed by our students and staff this season in both victory and defeat is inspiring,” Edwards said.  “Proud to be a part of The Mayde Creek FAMILY!”